Common themes in both essays are the gathering of like students referred to by White as “Tribes” and Grealy as “Cliques”. While each author gave them different titles they are essentially the same thing. Groups of students who all fit the same mold gathered together, unwilling to let anyone of another shape join their group.
They both shared the feeling of loneliness from being excluded and feeling alienated because they did not posses the right clothes to fit in, or share the same views of the world in another “Tribe” and sadness because you do not fit, as you look different.
Finally White and Grealy both use the lunch room as a human punch bowl, will you sink or swim, fit in or be rejected, and will you ultimately eat at a table with others or off on your own. Your social status in that lunchroom can have an impact on the rest of your life.
As I read these two essays, I was brought back to high school; I had lot of little flashes and replayed quite a few scenarios in my mind, of things that happened along the way.
I was not part of the popular tribe; I was too studious for them. I did not fit the mold for the preppies either; I was not into sports, cheer or any of that. I recall snickers and laughter simply because my parents shopped at K mart and all the cool kids got their clothes at the Gap. Don’t get me wrong I had friends and I found my place; I fit with the music junkies in the band. Marching band was my family, we may not have always gotten along or all agreed on everything but we were in a sense our own “Tribe” and we loved it.
No comments:
Post a Comment