Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Identity markers

There are many identity markers, language, clothing, physical characteristics, and religion to name a few. 

One of the first things I tend to notice is physical appearance.  We are all different and that is what makes this world a beautiful place. In Lucy Grealy’s essay “Masks” she is always trying to hide her face with mask, so that no one can see the mask below. 
“I put on a plastic witch mask and went out with Teresa. I walked down the street suddenly bold and free: No one could see my face”.  I feel that in her attempt to hide a physical difference from others, Lucy was actually hiding a huge piece of her identity. 
In a way we all wear masks, our mask is what allow us to show and share emotions with one another, give smiles and warm welcomes to friends and family.  Lucy was trying to hide a piece of her she did not like, and in the process hid a whole lot more.

Next for me would be the language we speak. I believe that everyone should be able to speak the language they choose, so long as, when we need to communicate, we can do so effectively.  In “How to tame a wild tongue” by Gloria Anzaldua is told by others that her language is not acceptable to them and she will need to conform to their ways to be accepted.  “I remember being sent to the corner of the classroom for “talking back” to the Anglo teacher when all I was trying to do was tell her how to pronounce my name. “If you want to be American, speak American”.  What comes to mind when I read that passage is what exactly is “American”, we are such a diverse melting pot in America that one persons view of American may not be another’s.

Lastly being able to accept yourself for who you are and not letting anyone else tell you what you are or how you should act or dress. This is best displayed in Queen Latifah’s essay “Who you callin a Bitch?” There are some very powerful statements “I don’t have to accept somebody else’s moniker for me. I define who I am” and “all things start inside your soul and work outward, Thoughts are powerful words are powerful”.  Perhaps if Lucy Grealy would have accepted her face as beautiful and held that high she would have had another identity, if you do not love yourself no one else can either.

While our identities are made up of many bits and pieces the most important part is being true to yourself, so that the outside world can get a clear picture of your identity.

No comments:

Post a Comment